Re: Invalid HTML-Tags

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:30:16PM +0200, Thomas Huriaux wrote:
> Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> (06/10/2005):
> > I discovered that especially in the french translations HTML-Tags in
> > the original version have been replaced, using the <u>-Tag.
> >
> > Please do not use that any longer!
> > Two reasons
> > - not valid
> > - things not to be used (<i>) should be replaced by something, that
> > tells more about the content, but not by invalid old html.
>
> Please ask the debian-l10n-french list before fixing everything related
> to typography. For example:

It's difficult to always ask when changing a WML file in many lnguages.
Is there no way to make the source compatible with all languages?

> This is wrong for two reasons:
> - the result will be "Snow Crash". In French, " does not exist, it must
>   be replaced by «&nbsp;text&nbsp;»

But why is <q> wrong? Because your browser delimits it with "?
I'm not an HTML expert but according to
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-Q:
User agents should render quotation marks in a language-sensitive manner
(see the lang attribute). Many languages adopt different quotation
styles for outer and inner (nested) quotations, which should be
respected by user-agents.

I verified that konqueror, firefox and lynx use " in "fr" mode, whereas
w3m uses '.

I suggest you send wishlist bugs to a few browsers.

> - in French, book titles must be underlined or in italic. As <u> is
>   deprecated, we will only use <i> (and not <em>).

How about a new WML <book> tag?

> We will continue, at least in French, to use <i>. Foreign words must be
> in italic, <em> does not assure us that it will be in italic.

OK, it seems this cannot be fixed across all languages, right?.

Jens