correct language extension for pt_BR?

Hi.

I'm somewhat confused about the right extension of filenames
for languages with sublanguages like .pt_BR or .zh_TW. I came
across this issue while working on the pages for the sarge install
manual which will include a pt_BR translation (but a pt_PT translation
is also in preparation, so going for .pt isn't possible).

The current policy for older release notes and install manuals
(regarding zh_*) seems to be: HTML files -> .zh-tw, .zh-cn, etc.
other formats -> .zh_TW, .zh_CN, etc. However, I wasn't able to find any
motivation for this confusing naming scheme.

The default configuration of apache seems to imply .zh-tw to be correct,
but this doesn't explain why we use another scheme for the non-HTML
files?

Anyone who can shed some light on this? (IIRC we had this discussion
already about one or two years ago on this list but I seem not be able
to find the right keywords for a search...)

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/