Re: dwww with css, was: Examples Debian WWW with css

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:13:08AM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> Hi Denis!
>
> Am Dienstag, 23.11.04 um 00:03 Uhr schrieb Denis Barbier:
>
> >by CSS, all pages will take these changes into account.  Of course
> >some other files have also to be modified in the same directory,
> >but it can be done later if we have no time just now.
> >It looks like you already modified HTML pages, so I can grab your
> >changes and propose a patch against this file, let me know where I
> >can download your modified main page.
>
> I am not ready with the screenshots yet, if you need.
>
> English and German pages are at
>
> http://www.witch.westfalen.de/debian/dwww/
>
> If links are not working there, it is a result of missing extenstions
> and different server settings.
>
> http://www.witch.westfalen.de/debian/diff/ contains the diff against
> webml cvs.
>
> If you totally dislike it, let me know. If you find it mostly okay and
> want me to make changes, feel free to do.

Thanks for your hard work, here are some comments.  First, please use
'diff -u' to generate patches, this is the preferred format here.
I do not know how you managed to have <div> tags well formed, dealing
with all these includes files is terrific ;)
But IMO you should avoid making it even worse by adding unbalanced
tags.  For instance one could write
  <ifeq "$(NOLANGUAGES)" "" "
  <hrline/>
  <:= languages() :>
  "/>
instead of adding opening tag in several files and closing tag in
footer.wml.

I am going to remove your alt="Debian Logo" from navbar.wml because
this text should be translatable and I would like to keep rendering
unchanged for the moment.  Same applies for your hidden 'Main Menu'.

Another point is about the links you transformed into lists.  It will
be much easier to have your changes in if the layout is unchanged,
we will have time later to propose enhancements and modify these links.
Moreover this change breaks makemail.pl because this script assumes
that <ul> tags are only used for package lists.

Is the <div id="outer"> necessary?  It seems to confuse lynx which no
more centers <h1> text.

To summarize, I am going to revise your patch as described above, revert
your changes in languages.wml, but I need your help for navbar.wml,
can you please send a new <div id="navbar"> which is a sequence of links
and has the same rendering as the current one with graphical browsers?

We should then be able to provide a patch which removes most tables but
without altering current rendering with text and graphical browsers.
Then people can get used to CSS and your other changes can be processed.

Denis