Re: Examples Debian WWW with css

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:39:53PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 21.11.04 um 17:39 Uhr schrieb Denis Barbier:
>
> >The main navbar is currently not a list, why did you turn it into <ul>?
> >If you keep it as is, it is certainly possible to have layout
> >unmodified
> >for text browsers.
>
> Forgot to answer that. According to accessibility guidelines it is a
> bad idea to put something, that is a list (for example a menu or
> selection) into one line. Blind persons "see" just words and phrases in
> a line.

Again this is off-topic.  If you want to promote CSS, let replace tables
by CSS, then everybody can make his opinion, and if there are not much
complaints, let's go further.

> Another Thing are the remaining tables, now that I have included the
> css for header and footer:
>
> According to accessibility guidelines, tables should _only_ be used
> where one has a real table in it and _not_ for layout boxes. But the
> main page and others are full of tables, which have only one sense:
> making a layout. Another thing is, that tables cannot be parsed as good
> as lists by other programs - not only by readers.
[...]

I am afraid that there is some misunderstanding.  HTML pages are
generated from templates, e.g. the main layout comes from
  http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/template/debian/mainpage.wml?cvsroot=webwml
If you are able to replace tables and font commands in this file
by CSS, all pages will take these changes into account.  Of course
some other files have also to be modified in the same directory,
but it can be done later if we have no time just now.
It looks like you already modified HTML pages, so I can grab your
changes and propose a patch against this file, let me know where I
can download your modified main page.

Denis