Re: request about developers.loc

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 03:40 +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> I don't know exactly what to do, but here some hints:
> The map is generated with xplanet (from the Debian package of the same
> name). You need xplanet, the background image and the dot locations
> ("markers").
>
> In case you have no access to www-master.d.o (klecker) I have put
> the two files (and the script which contains the xplanet call)
> to http://people.debian.org/~djpig/developers.loc/.
>
> (Changing the color of the dots should only require changiing the
> --color paramter of xplanet.)

There's a small problem with xplanet: the current version has changed
its mode of operation and its user interface quite drastically. So the
old 6map script doesn't work with new versions of xplanet.

I reworked the script and put the result at
http://people.paniq.net/~fabbe/tmp/debian-developers-map/ -- I don't
have access to www-master and can't verify the correctness, so I made
6map.localrun which I was able to test successfully. 6map should work,
but may require some adjustment (and a recent version of xplanet).
Particularly, I don't know if there are any particular preferences as to
where and how temporary files should be created.

In any case, this should make it easier to play around with different
colours, map projections, etc. on your own machine. Should a DD ever
move off the earth, the current version of xplanet can handle that as
well. We would just need different marker files and config sections for
each astral body that is inhabited by a DD...

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>