Re: split.pl finished -- major problem

* Peter Karlsson <peter@softwolves.pp.se> [2003-07-29 09:45]:
> Gerfried Fuchs:
>>  The only thing that I noticed just now is that the entries are now
>> doubled in the output: Once the english entry and once the translated
>> one :-((
>
> What is it that you are trying to do, exactly?

 Split the current huge .wml files into small pieces that can be
translated on their own without the need to translate the whole thing
(just like the /devel/todo/ page).

> I thought you just were splitting the pages out to create a set of
> smaller pages, instead of the gigantic impossible-to-overview page
> that is there now?

 Not in the first step, and that change would be too intrusive IMHO. I
have that in mind though for a little bit later.

> Why are you trying to include all the entries back again? Doing that
> doesn't help the situation at all, the page would still be impossible
> to overview.

 But it would make the translation of the page much more comfortable.

> Why not just create an index page, with links to one page per user
> entry?

 Because that is a thing that should be discussed first.  There are
several posibilities:

 Like you said, one index page with just the TOCs which link to
individual user pages.  Or one index page with the TOCs and four pages
with the entries for the different cathegories, which has its own TOC
and the entries below.

 I'm not sure which one is really better, personally I guess I would
prefer the later which would result in just five pages.

 But that still leaves us with the problem that currently the english
original and the translated entry both gets included into the page(s). I
have to take a closer look at wml::debian::todoitem I guess to find the
magic that goes on in here.

 So long,
Alfie
--