Re: future of developers list

Hi,

From: Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr>
Subject: future of developers list
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:15:37 +0100

> Another added benefit would be that we could then extend our LDAP database
> schemas to include another field for people's names in native character set,
> which would nicely fix the problem with Japanese names -- the non-Japanese
> web pages would print the names of these developers in the western way, and
> the Japanese web pages would print them in the Japanese way.

I think another field for native character is a good idea.  However,
however, why not UTF-8 rather than native character set?  (You mean,
native expression and you didn't want to talk about character encoding?)

I don't understand why "another field for native character (set)" will
fix the name order problem.  Though all Japanese people would agree on
"surname givenname" order in native character, they have argument on
the order in alphabet transliteration expression.  I think the current
devel/people has the best format -- "surname, givenname" for alphabet
transliteration expression is what all Japanese people agree on.
I hope other peoples will also agree on the format.

If we would have another field for native character, I think it is nice
for devel/people to have both of alphabet expression and native expression
like devel/website/translation_coordinators .  I think all translated
pages (devel/people.*.html) should have the same expression.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/