Re: "family name, personal name" in devel/people

Hi,

From: Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr>
Subject: Re: "family name, personal name" in devel/people
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:33:58 +0100

> % grep-available -F Maintainer Shuzo -s Maintainer | sort -u
> Maintainer: HATTA Shuzo <hattas@debian.org>
> Maintainer: Hatta Shuzo <hattas@debian.org>
>
> % grep-available -F Maintainer Yuuma -s Maintainer | sort -u
> Maintainer: Oohara Yuuma <oohara@debian.org>
>
> Perhaps one of you could politely inform these two developers that they
> might get the westerners to read their name right if they changed the
> ordering? :)

Well, I don't want to do this.  I want nobody to do this.
It is not a very good idea that non-westerners have to follow the
customs of westerners but westerners don't need to follow that of
non-westerners.  Non-westerners already suffer from paying cost to
learn many customs of westerners when we want to do something in
international societies, and I want to reduce the load if possible.

I think I can ask them to write family name in uppercase, it is the
maximum which I can ask them.  I don't know they will accept even
this idea.  Please note that this *is* what I recently mentioned as
a "10-year flamewar" and I *never* want to join it, and even asking
writing familyname in uppercase might arouse the flamewar.  (If I
would ask to change name order, I would certainly stimulate the
core part of flamewar and Japanese members of Debian might drop
their activity as developers.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/