Re: automatically-generated ISO-8859-1 characters in mulbibyte webpages

Hi,

From: Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr>
Subject: Re: automatically-generated ISO-8859-1 characters in mulbibyte webpages
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:31:37 +0100

> Hmm, I see how the already-hardcoded ones need to be fixed immediately, but
> shouldn't there be a Perl module which we could use to convert stuff
> automatically? I never bothered to look for it, but the number of hardcoded
> names just because of the character set shouldn't be growing, it's a pain to
> maintain.

I (weakly) prefer my way to your way because your way will declare that
*all* 8bit characters in maintainer names are ISO-8859-1 even in future.
I think it is not a very good idea because I hope ISO-8859-1 would fade
out and be substituted by UTF-8 in future.

Anyway, though I don't know such a module, your way can be very easily
implemented.  I think the easiest one is like following:

      $name =~ s/([\x80-\xff])/"&#".ord($1).";"/eg;

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/