Re: automatically-generated ISO-8859-1 characters in mulbibyte webpages

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:07:41PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found that the page of http://www.debian.org/devel/people.ja.html
> is very dirty.  ALL characters are written in boldface (i.e.,
> <strong> format) after some cirtain point.
>
> This occurs because of 8bit (i.e., non-ASCII) characters in
> developers' names.  When such characters (I guess most of them are
> intended to be ISO-8859-1) are used in developers' names, these
> characters appear in the webpage.
[...]

I find only 18 names in people.names containing non-ASCII letters,
so /org/www.debian.org/cron/people_scripts/people.pl could contain
some extra elsif in its canonical_names function to replace
non-ASCII letters by HTML entities.  Most names seem to be ISO-8859-1
encoded.
When done, this script could also skip maintainers with non-ASCII
letters which are not processed in order to prevent future trouble.

Denis