Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 11:20:10AM +1300, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > > Joy (or any of the rest of the www team) - where do you get the data
> > > to put into the mirror pages on www.d.o?
> >
> > Well, we get it from the Internet :) Please rephrase the question, I don't
> > understand.
>
> Well, do the admins just send you a mail, do you list any that you happen
> to come across when randomly surfing around, do you have any more structured
> way for admins to tell you what they plan to mirror...?

All three. :)

But mostly the third, via http://www.debian.org/mirror/submit

Note s/plan to//.

> > We already have that, but notice how the mirrors of the two archives aren't
> > in the least bit of distress like the problem at hadn: the structure and
> > contents of those is well defined, we have mirror checking scripts and we
> > regularly monitor the output of that for any major problems.
> >
> > (I would suggest that you have a look at http://www.debian.org/mirror/)
>
> Hmmm... the link to "Debian mirrors that include the debian-cd archive"
> actually takes me to a useful-ish list... at least, some of the sites
> listed do have iso images.
>
> It's not terribly helpful if it's not linked to in such a way that it will
> be found by someone looking for CD images, though.

It's the HTTP/FTP link on the CD pages...

> > The CD image mirrors don't even have a primary site -- *cdimage.d.o includes
> > only jigdo files now. Those image mirrors are one big improvization.
>
> Doesn't matter whether there's a primary site that is only accessible to
> official mirrors, or whether they all have to get the images in some other
> way, so long as it is simple for them to automate & keep up to date.

When there's nothing official in the US, it's understandable that the
secondary mirror maintainers in the US will be reluctant to mirror from
elsewhere.

> And so long as the directory structure of all the mirrors is the same,
> for the parts that they mirror...

There isn't really a site to dictate the standard directory structure, so
the best thing we could do is proclaim one of the existing ones standard.

Heck, not even the directory name is standardized, there's debian-cd,
debian-iso, debian-cdimage, ...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.