Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> But I use the website.  Here's a questions.  Go to eh redhat site and
> see if you can figure out where to get a complete RedHat CD downloaded
> from the net?

The comparison is only fair with organizations that *want* you do do so
(so not redhat, probably not openbsd, or mandrake, or others whose
principal developers try to sell cds).

> Of course our site has lots of room for improvement.  I still submit
> it's way better than the competitors.

There's a straight 2 click path to a directory with an ISO image on it
on the gentoo site. For freebsd, it's 3 obvious clicks to a ftp site
directory, then click on arch and version. For netbsd, 5 clicks to a
mirror (one hidden far down a page). For debian, it's 4 clicks, _if_ you
avoid the unofficial images, and the false path that leads only to them.
And _if_ you happen to pick one of the small fraction of listed mirrors
that really work.

So no, in this case our web site is behind all but netbsd in structure,
and behind netbsd in the sory state of our cdrom mirror network.

The debian web site has some nice stuff, but mostly for developers. And
it suffers from accreting for years, with no overall vision, and little
refactoring. If it were code I'd call it quite crufty and overfeatured
and badly designed.

--
see shy jo