Re: New deb mother tongue (CN problem)

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 01:58:18PM -0700, Robin Rowe wrote:

> I've set IE to only {en-ca}, but I still get en returned. Setting it to
> {en-ca,fr} should, I think, return fr -- which it does. The
> mod_negotiation.c code does a ranking to determine a best match and fr is an
> exact match even if it is the second choice.
>
> The situation that got me into this whole issue was that IE as installed by
> Win2k is set to {en-us} rather than {en-us,en} as it probably should be.
> With IE set to only {en-us} I was getting Debian pages in pr, despite the
> fact that Portuguese was not one of the languages requested by the browser.
> That is the bug I'm trying to fix, but can't replicate now.
>
> Are we talking about the right problem?

You need to specify the url(s) used. Most, but not all, of the Debian
pages should handle en-us and en-gb just as en (due to the symlinks
Josip mentioned). Other variants, such as en-ca (alone with no valid
secondary choice) will return the smallest variant. It was random luck
that pr was the smallest variant for the pages you viewed.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org