Re: Please help me, I am receiving large amounts of spam as a result of my posting.

* Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> [2002-10-01 14:14]:
> Speak for yourself. I think they would be equally useful if they would
> not contain private email addresses.

 No, they won't.  Being able to search the archives and mailing the
person with the same problem is one of the main reasons to keep an
archive at all.

 On the other hand *our* archive isn't really the problem.  The lists
are stored and public available on lots of other sites, _including_ news
servers (just take a look at the linux.debian.* hierarchy).  I'd bet
that *most* of the spam that you receive for posting to a list is get
through the news gate, /not/ through our very own webarchive.  If you
like to render our webarchive unuseable you gain nothing /wrt spam but
lose a lot /wrt usability.

> The fact is that nobody subscribed to debian lists to be spammed but
> everybody ends up being spammed. This is not fair for anybody and we
> should try to change that.

 Again, I guess that the problem is not the web archives but the news
gate.

> It's sad that we are not aware enough of how much we help spammers.

 How many spam reports have you sent to the respective abuse addresses
in the last time?  You don't do that?  Well, you are not doing anything
to reduce the spam level yerself then.  Hiding isn't an option, get
active.

 So long,
Alfie
--
"Es gibt in diesem Netz Gute und Böse. Wer die Bösen sind,
entscheiden die Guten." (Michael Ottenbruch in de.admin.news.regeln)