Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by alfie: webwml/ nglish/security/2000/20000812.wml ngli ...

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:11:52PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

>  I am happy with either but personally think that after a : a new
> sentence starts and so it should also be in english gramtically correct
> to upercase it.  If you like to change it back feel free to do so and/or
> change it to a dash -- at least at the places where that would fit. Not
> in all the things I uppercased the word after the : it would be
> replaceable by a -- (—?).

Ah, the joys of English. One use of a colon is before a part of a
sentence that merely restates, explains, or gives an example of what
has just been stated. In this instance, the word after the colon is not
capitalized (unless it is a proper noun).

For completeness, the proper use of the colon, semicolon and dash are:

semicolon
 - to separate items in a series when the items contain commas
 - between main clauses that contain commas
 - between main clauses when the conjunction (and, but, for, or) has
   been left out
 - between main clauses connected by 'however', 'moreover',
   'nevertheless', 'for example', 'consequently', etc.

colon
 - after the word 'following' and similar expressions that introduce a
   list or series
 - before a long quotation
 - before a part of a sentence that merely restates, explain, or gives
   an example of what has just been stated
 - after the salutation of a business letter

dash
 - to show a sudden change in thought
 - before a summary of what has just been stated in a sentence

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org