Re: HTTP mirror link is hard to locate on www.debian.org

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 07:33:16PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:48:39AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Call mer stupid
Well I was stupid.  For usability test, you need a "stupid" person :)

> You are confused by the file name -- the names of the countries are HTTP,
> and the "(FTP)" links are HTTP. Hmm. Maybe we should make the latter <small>.

I see.  It is tricky :)  Maybe following updates may help people like me.

Old Title: "The FTP server network"
New Title: "The Debian download server network"

Old lead phrase:
   Debian GNU/Linux is distributed (mirrored) on hundreds of servers on the
   Internet. Using a nearby server will probably speed up your download, and
   also reduce the load on our central servers and on the Internet as a
   whole.

New lead phrase:
   Debian GNU/Linux is distributed (mirrored) on hundreds of servers on
   the Internet. They can be accessed by several methods including HTTP
   and FTP. Using a nearby server will probably speed up your download,
   and also reduce the load on our central servers and on the Internet
   as a whole.

I did not say RSYNC in above.  Then all the lists shall be:

Old list on screen: "Austria (FTP)"
   ,,    excerpts in HTML:

New list on screen: "Austria: HTTP, FTP"
   ,,    excerpts in HTML:

I understand this is generated by the script (ftplist.py) and wml.

Also, front page link needs to ditch the use of FTP and simply say
"Download".

> > This page still sort of encourage people to download full CD image if
> > they do not know much about how Debian works (Most ex-RH folks).  They
> > will surely pound on server for no reason after woody release for sure.
>
> Sadly, that's unavoidable regardless of the links on our web pages...

Sad but that is reality.

> > I think direct link from front page to above URL should be replaced by
> > the title "Network install" linked to:
> >   http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
>
> I was planning to put these side by side when woody was released. I never
> tested potato netinst images and other people weren't overly vocal about its
> quality, so I didn't want to plug it as much, in case something was wrong
> with it.

Good plan.

> Which page? Surely not netinst, since those netinst images aren't
> distributed over the mirror network...

My mistake.

> > Also,
> >
> >   http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst
> >
> > currently points to FTP site only but this should mention HTTP too.
>
> It says "a Debian FTP mirror", but it links to a page full of HTTP links :)
> The intention is "debian/ mirror", but using that or the term "Debian
> archive" might confuse people.
Now I understand it better.  As I proposed above, how about "The Debian
download server network"?

> I guess I can ditch the word FTP from there, though.
Please as I described above.

> > HTTP sometimes have advantage to go through some firewall easily :)
>
> Indeed, and it's got less starting overhead, so we are using it everywhere
> instead of FTP, or moving towards that.
Thanks.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.