Re: HTTP mirror link is hard to locate on www.debian.org

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:48:39AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Call mer stupid but I can not easily locate the most important web link
> in several key pages in http://www.debian.org.  Most important link, I
> mean, is to:
>
>   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/README.mirrors.html
>
> This page is known to many who set up /etc/apt/sources.list but it is
> not obvious to the new comers.  I am wondering if this is intentional?
>
> Here is my observation along this line...
>
> Instead, I can find FTP link page easily.  There is a direct link from
> the front page:
>   http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist

You are confused by the file name -- the names of the countries are HTTP,
and the "(FTP)" links are HTTP. Hmm. Maybe we should make the latter <small>.

The ftplist page links to README.mirrors.html immediately after the official
mirror list.

> This page still sort of encourage people to download full CD image if
> they do not know much about how Debian works (Most ex-RH folks).  They
> will surely pound on server for no reason after woody release for sure.

Sadly, that's unavoidable regardless of the links on our web pages...

> I think direct link from front page to above URL should be replaced by
> the title "Network install" linked to:
>   http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

I was planning to put these side by side when woody was released. I never
tested potato netinst images and other people weren't overly vocal about its
quality, so I didn't want to plug it as much, in case something was wrong
with it.

(I tested the isolinux netinst image recently and found it to work just
fine, and it's being much more advertized by the b-f people this time, so
I see no obstacle to start "plugging" it everywhere.)

> And this page should mention both
>   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/README.mirrors.html (HTTP) and
>   http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist            (FTP)
>
> as the source list of archives and methods to reach them.

Which page? Surely not netinst, since those netinst images aren't
distributed over the mirror network...

> Also,
>
>   http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst
>
> currently points to FTP site only but this should mention HTTP too.

It says "a Debian FTP mirror", but it links to a page full of HTTP links :)
The intention is "debian/ mirror", but using that or the term "Debian
archive" might confuse people.

I guess I can ditch the word FTP from there, though.

> HTTP sometimes have advantage to go through some firewall easily :)

Indeed, and it's got less starting overhead, so we are using it everywhere
instead of FTP, or moving towards that.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.