Re: Availability of changelogs at packages.debian.org?

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 02:58:10PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 09:55:18AM +0100, Fabrice Lorrain (home) wrote:
> > "James A. Treacy" wrote:

> > >  - for efficiency the extraction script should extract the changelog.gz
> > >    changelog.debian.gz and copyright file all in one go.
> > The copyright file is not really needed.
>
> Maybe not for you, but it is requested frequently.
> Besides, the extra resources needed to grab that file along with the
> others is negligible.
>
> > > To prevent an overly large, flat directory I would suggest creating a
> > > cache that mirrors the archive pool directory structure.
> > Why not using the pool directory directly?
> >
> That is part of the archive and would unnecessarily enlarge it.

So, you're thinking along the lines of a cgi that would initially
respond to a user's 'littledoc' request by extracting just the pieces
we want from the .tgz, and present the info to the user. And then it
would store that info in a disk cache file so the next user to request the
same info wouldn't cause it to re-extract? Each server's cache file
would have different contents based on what requests it's
seen. Wouldn't that make servers' resource needs hard to predict?

BTW, I mentioned the README because it sometimes would give a better
idea of what the package does. Some package descriptions are obtuse or
just plain too brief to convey understanding.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |