Re: Availability of changelogs at packages.debian.org?

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 05:18:26PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> If you're talking about checking it _before_ downloading, I agree that
> might be a nice enhancement, maybe just the first 100 lines or
> something. Also a link to the README would be cool. But I think some
> of these things are hard to do considering that the archives are
> mirrored all over the world.

Unpacking .deb and grabbing the changelog/copyright files needs a fair
amount of resources. It would be easy for someone to grab huge resources
by requesting many changelogs. What is needed is to create a cache
system so .deb are only unpacked once per package version.

Nothing is particularly difficult, but there are a number of cases to
deal with:
 - some packages still use /usr/doc
 - /usr/share/<foo> may be a symlink to a different package
 - /usr/share/<foo>/<file> may be a symlink to a file either in the
   same directory or to a file in another package
 - not every package contains an upstream changelog file
 - for efficiency the extraction script should extract the changelog.gz
   changelog.debian.gz and copyright file all in one go.

Additionally, the following issues need to be dealt with:
One could simply present files for unstable, but that won't handle the
case of packages that exist in stable, but not unstable.

The script needs to be on a machine with a complete archive.

It needs to be able to deal with different arches.

To prevent an overly large, flat directory I would suggest creating a
cache that mirrors the archive pool directory structure.

Make it efficient.

Any volunteers?

--
James (Jay) Treacy