Re: [oferk@oren.co.il: debian]

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:49:50PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user who didn't like the cdimage.d.o.
[snip]

Too true!

I hope the forthcoming cdimage website will solve at least part of the
problem.

However, IMHO there's still a problem with the link to cdimage on
<http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors> - an unexperienced user like
the one whose mail you forwarded will certainly not follow a link in
the sentence

    To make it easier for CD vendors to provide a high quality
    disk we provide Official CD images for them.

simply because he's not a vendor. (Even /I/ only followed it after
searching elsewhere for a long time when I first downloaded Debian
CDs.) There should be something like

    If you want to buy Debian on CD, see below. If you want to
    download CD images to write to CD-R yourself, see the
    cdimage.debian.org site.

FWIW, maybe it is not even a good idea to separate the list of CD
vendors (on www.d.o) from the rest of the CD information (on
cdimage.d.o)? That may make sense from an organizational point of
view, but it is less user-friendly. If the vendor list were added to
the cdimage website, the "Debian on CD" link on
<http://www.debian.org/> could point directly to cdimage.

Cheers,

  Richard

PS: I've updated the page design of
<http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/> and added a navigation bar that
somewhat resembles the one on www.debian.org. I can't use magenta
because that colour is trademarked in Germany! :)
--
  __   _
  ¯ ´` ¯