Re: www.debian.org news

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 12:46:16AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > Some of you may have noticed the sorry condition klecker.debian.org was in
> > today. It was overloaded and going out of memory, and eventually it crashed.
> >
> > Thanks to Patrick Ashmore and Jonathan Adams, faeries^Wadmins at VA, the
> > machine was brought back online, with a vengeance -- doubled CPU power and
> > doubled amount of RAM! All should be well now.
>
> This is great. Still, why is it that whatever machine gets used for the
> web starts getting abused by other processes?
>
> The archive and the web pages are the two most visible aspects of the
> project. We shouldn't allow them to become inaccessible. IMO, klecker
> should be used for debian web services (in all its incarnations,
> including people.d.o) and nothing else.

I see you still haven't forgotten the previous little incident :)

I wholeheartedly agree that users should take care not to overload
klecker.d.o. However, the latest crash seems to have been induced by several
things, and all of those were web-related -- there was a WML rebuild in
progress, people were hitting hard on search_contents.pl and
search_packages.pl, ViewCVS was being used, I was running Webalizer, and
search.d.o's postgresqls were also active, AFAIR.

Additionally, the kernel on klecker.d.o isn't quite in shape and it can be
blamed, too. (For others: we were told this will also be fixed, soon.)

Hmm, perhaps we could move cvs.debian.org elsewhere, that's not really a
web-related thing :) though I don't think any Debian machine has this good
connectivity. (I could propose one of the European servers that are closer
to me, but that's just me :o)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.