Re: User's cgi scripts?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 06:39:58PM +0100, Jaime E . Villate wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 04:42:41PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 07:02:26PM +0100, Jaime E . Villate wrote:
> > > ... I'd like to make our web interface
> > > available in www.debian.org for those who'd rather use an html form instead of
> > > a mail interface (I'll try to combine both methods).
> >
> > the combination is not a problem:
> >
> > send only an mail with a attachment in this form:
> >
> > ! From: <mail@host.com>
> > !  1. part orig description
> > !  .
> > !  2. part orig description
> > ! Description-es: translated description
> > !  1. part translated description
> > !  .
> > !  2. part translated description
> >
> > to grisu-td@auric.debian.org
> that part is easy. The part that needs work done is trying to unify the
> databases. If I send in Spanish translations to your mail server, we have to
> figure out a way to keep it synchronized with the 5028 translations
> we already have in a gdbm file.

not really.

a) we make a only one way combination. (web -> db) (with this the
   spanish user can use the spanish apt source lines.)

b) hack:
   1.) I include alle finish translation on auric. with this the server
       don't send this description a second time to the translators.
   2.) The server choose a description on a randon base, if we have a lot
       untranslated description, the problem is very little.

c) The right way:
   We write a own web interface.

> > > I could create some pages in www.debian.org/~villate
> > > but I can't find out whether Debian developers are allowed to use cgi scripts
> > > and where they should go.
> >
> > IMHO we (the normal maintainers) can't use cgi-scripts on the user
> > > pages... or?
>
> And what do I have to do to prove that I'm abnormal enough to deserve to use
> cgi? :-)

ask admin on auric/gluck/master/... to make a exception in
/etc/apache/access.conf

> P.S. At this moment we have 5028 package descriptions translated into
> Spanish.

btw: sid, potato oder woody? How many changes have you per day?

we have >1000 in six(?) weeks in german and the first french etc.

if I have time I must move the db to a real db. Now I use normal files
and du say:
$ du -s db/
98684   db
:-(

Gruss
Grisu
"Die gute alte Zeit ist nichts anderes als eine  rückwärts datierte Utopie."
                                                           (Erich Wiesner)