Re: Chinese new official language in UK?

Just returning from vacation, so a late addition to this thread.

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 04:08:10PM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 05:02:34PM +0200, Josip Rodin uttered:
>
> > If you used "en", it would have worked fine. <sigh>
>
> But of course I would prefer en-au or en-gb to en-us, you see :)
> Works fine now but would be helpful to fix for others in my situation.

When the http spec is properly implemented (as in apache), requesting
'en-us' will not serve an 'en' page. On the other hand, requesting
'en' will serve 'en-us' if it exists (and there is no 'en' variant).

This is clearly spelled out in the http spec and there is even a warning
to browser authors to make it clear that country codes should only be
used when really needed.

So, as you have already noticed, the proper way to specify your
preference is to use 'en-au, en-gb, en'.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org