Re: Simple questions

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 07:32:07AM -0800, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > 1) Why are most Pics in the pages gif's? This is probably been
> > >    discussed before, but it must have been before I joined the
> > >    list. In general I stay away from gif's, and I even had to install
> > >    the gimp-nonfree package to work on the pages!
> >
> > I think this is because we don't have a gimp script to create PNGs instead
> > of GIFs.
> It is quite easy to modify the gimp script to creat png instead of gif.

Yeah, and then it doesn't work. :) I've tried, and all I've gotten were some
ugly internal errors in Gimp's Perl module. Maybe you had better luck?

> One thing we have been concerned with is alienating new users if they
> visit a web site that has 'broken' images if their browser doesn't support
> png.

What's the status on browser support for PNG, anyway?

BTW nobody has yet complained about the `corner' images in the navbar, and
those are PNGs... which doesn't really mean anything since those images are
rather small, maybe nobody noticed that they weren't getting displayed.