Getting rid of the makefles [was Re: devel/index]

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 08:02:52PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:

> And in addition to changing to the above, all the Makefiles need to be
> rewritten, so that the translations all depend on the originals.

You may want to consider implementing this some other way since we
may be getting rid of the Makefiles.

The issues are:
CONS
- they are more flexible
- wmk is slower than make. make will quickly ignore all files that don't need to
  be built. wmk stalls for a bit on every file. It may be possible to avoid this
  by building a dependency file ahead of time, but I haven't looked into it.

PROS
- the makefiles are a pain to maintain
- new translators usually get them wrong
- they are quirky. Errors are generated when a subdir doesn't have a Makefile in it.
- some variables need to be defined twice (in wml and in the Makefiles)

Additionally, we'd need to decide where the files are built (no 'make install' to
install them elsewhere). The possibilities are:
- move all translations into one directory. The html gets left in that directory.
  This gets ugly quickly: 10 files times 15 translations times 2 (.wml and
  .<lang>.html) is 300 files. This would also require that the mirrors ignore
  .wml files (not a big deal).
- Force the html files to be created in another directory (the equivalent of doing
  'make install' in the current system). I'm not sure how to implement this in
  wml. When you specify the -o option, you don't have access to much of the power
  of wml. This makes it difficult to the the dest dir correct.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org