Re: [nm-admin] Website corrections

Hi, Matthew. Thank you for your advices.

 I forward this to debian-www list also.

In <14516.11402.241054.351713@pick.sel.cam.ac.uk>,
 at Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:52:58 +0000 (GMT),
  on Subject: [nm-admin] Website corrections,
   Matthew Vernon <matthew@sel.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Below is the text of the website, with some language corrections. I
> hope this is helpful.
>
> Matthew
>
> How You Can Help
>
>  Debian Project consists of volunteers, and our products are developed
> ^insert "The" here

OK.

> entirely by volunteers. We are generally looking for new developers
> who have some technical knowledge, an interest in free software, and
> some free time. If you haven't already, you should read through most
> of the web pages to get a better understanding of what we are trying
> to do. Pay particular attention to the Debian Free Software Guidelines
> in our Social Contract.
> ^^ possibly this should be and? I know the DFSG is in the SC, but I
> would have thought we want people with a good knowledge of the whole lot

Agreed.

> You should subscribe to the debian-devel mailing list and read it for
>
> IMHO -devel is too high traffic to expect people to subscribe to.
>
> a while (along with debian-project, debian-news, and similar. Note
> that the debian-devel-announce list is considered as an essential list
>                                                   ^^ delete this

Changes below is OK ?

 %%%

 You should subscribe to the debian-devel-announce mailing list
 and read it for a while, because this list is considered
 an essential list for all developpers.

 Other mailing lists, such as debian-news, debian-devel, and
 debian-project are also useful for you. Questions related to
 detail in packaging can be asked on debian-mentors list.

 For those who wish to reduce the number of mails, there are
 debian-devel-digest list for mails on debian-devel. You can use
 the Mailing List Archives page <http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/>
 to read the mails on other various lists.

 If you are interested in maintaining your packages, then
 you should look at the Work-Needing and Prospective Packages
 list to see what packages need maintainers. Taking over someone else's
 package is the best way to start out as a developer as you can learn
 from what the previous maintainer has already done.

 %%%

> ...providing they didn't use debstd or some other deprecated thing.

I think the applicant can learn something still in such a case.

> You should check the Debian Quality Assurance page too, and try to
> provide the patch to solve the problem. Testing and Bug fix is another
>                                                         ^^^
> provide a patch so solve one of the problems there.     fixing

OK.

> better way to contribute the whole of Debian.
>
> There are some more tasks other than package maintainance in Debian,
>           ^^^^^^^^^ delete
> such as Documentation/Web maintainance/Translation(i18n & l10n)/
> /Publicity/Legal support.
>
> Finally, if you see an area that you can help out, Go to the page of
>                                               ^^^ s/out/with
> New Maintainers' Corner. If you're still in the queue for becoming an
>
> "Go to the New Maintainer's Corner page"
>
> official developer, check out our sponsorship program. And if you have
> not read the Developer's Reference, then You may want to do so. It is
>                                          ^ lower case
> a useful handbook for an overview of the recommended procedures and
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ delete
> the available resources for Debian developers.
>
> Besides the many developers, Debian also needs donations of money and
> use of machines for development and connectivity. We are still looking
> for mirrors in some parts of the world.
>
> Even if you don't have time to maintain packages or aren't in a
> position to make monetary or equipment donations to Debian, you can
> still help out by filing bug reports against packages that have errors
> in them. To make it easier to file bugs, we have made programs such as
>                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ replace
> with "packages"
> bug and reportbug which make filing bug reports very easy.

All agreed.

> Matthew

I will update my "sample implementation" to reflect the recent text
from Dale, and your suggestions above. Thanks :)

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>