Re: translation-check.wml

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 10:11:14PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:49:29AM +0200, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 06:04:33PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > >
> > > Can you explain the rationale for this? There is no reason for a translation
> > > to be rebuilt if the original version is modified. Of course, when the translation
> > > is updated, it is rebuilt.
> >
> > The idea behind translation-check.wml is that is puts a "big fat warning" on
> > the translated page if it is outdated.
> >
> We have a difference of philosophy here. I view translation checking as
> seperate from the building of the pages. To me, translation checking is
> something the translator does to make sure that the translation is up
> to date. This could be aided by by a program, but it is something the
> translator does on their own machine.

I fully agree. I think "check_trans.pl" is a sufficient tool for the
translators. This particular 'translation-check.wml' is however meant for
something else. It is meant to warn the readers of the web pages, that the
translation is out of date if, for example the translator disappears.

> > Where check_translated would be a perl/shell script that would do the
> > following:
> >    file=$1
> >    orig_revision = CVS_revision( english/$file )
> >    for lang in $languages
> >    do
> >         trans_revision = CVS_revision( $lang/$file )
> >         if ( ( orig_revision - trans_revision ) > N
> > 		&& ( orig_revision - trans_revision ) < N+1 )
> > 	   then rebuild $lang/$file;
> >    done
>
> Should we also add something to remove the translation altogether if it is
> too old? This could be done by having the script send mail to debian-www
> stating the translation is extremely out of date. Someone could then
> remove the wml file from cvs.

Someone once proposed adding "severities" to this script. This would allow
to vary the warning from a little note at the bottom of the page to a big
warning in bold at the top of the page. This might be better for translation
for that language (it's more apparent that translation needs help) than
simply deleting the page.

> This is an interesting approach. Sounds good to me.

great :-)
I'll begin implementing it.

regards
Marcin