Re: translation-check.wml

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:49:29AM +0200, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 06:04:33PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > >
> > Can you explain the rationale for this? There is no reason for a translation
> > to be rebuilt if the original version is modified. Of course, when the translation
> > is updated, it is rebuilt.
>
> The idea behind translation-check.wml is that is puts a "big fat warning" on
> the translated page if it is outdated.

We have a difference of philosophy here. I view translation checking as
seperate from the building of the pages. To me, translation checking is
something the translator does to make sure that the translation is up
to date. This could be aided by by a program, but it is something the
translator does on their own machine.

As I've stated before, though, the creation of tools to help translators
is best left to you, the translators. You are doing the actual work
so have more experience in this area. Your approach is also more pragmatic
in that it give better results if a translator dissapears.

> Where check_translated would be a perl/shell script that would do the
> following:
>    file=$1
>    orig_revision = CVS_revision( english/$file )
>    for lang in $languages
>    do
>         trans_revision = CVS_revision( $lang/$file )
>         if ( ( orig_revision - trans_revision ) > N
> 		&& ( orig_revision - trans_revision ) < N+1 )
> 	   then rebuild $lang/$file;
>    done

Should we also add something to remove the translation altogether if it is
too old? This could be done by having the script send mail to debian-www
stating the translation is extremely out of date. Someone could then
remove the wml file from cvs.

> This would run wml for the translations only once, exactly when the
> translation gets outdated.
>
> what do you think? I guess the translation-check.wml is a good thing, and
> the above setup would keep the load at an acceptable level.

This is an interesting approach. Sounds good to me.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org