Re: search engine uses Referrer: field

Eric Marsden wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I notice that the search engine at
>
>    <URL:http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl>
>
> seems to use the Referrer field when generating the URLs allowing you
> to jump to a specific package (I notice this because I browse the web
> via a filtering proxy which happens to stick a fixed value in the
> Referrer field, so the search engine doesn't work for me).
>
> Is it really necessary to do the CGI this way? I believe that it is
> legitimate for browsers not to provide the Referrer, and it seems that
> there must be other ways to make it work.

Yes, it's done to be able to point to a mirror next to you instead
of the general one.  Can you give details on what you send and receive
and what is wrong with it, I'm sure the script can be fixed.

Regards,

	Joey

--
No question is too silly to ask, but, of course, some are too silly
to answer.   -- Perl book