search engine uses Referrer: field

Hi folks,

I notice that the search engine at

   <URL:http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl>

seems to use the Referrer field when generating the URLs allowing you
to jump to a specific package (I notice this because I browse the web
via a filtering proxy which happens to stick a fixed value in the
Referrer field, so the search engine doesn't work for me).

Is it really necessary to do the CGI this way? I believe that it is
legitimate for browsers not to provide the Referrer, and it seems that
there must be other ways to make it work.

--
Eric Marsden
It's elephants all the way down