Re: increased use of cgi on the debian web pages

> > I think so. Example: It's suboptimal to access ftp.debian.org from
> > www.de.debian.org, being ftp.de.debian.org a well-behaved mirror.
>
> As long as we guarantee that ftp.<COUNTRY>.debian.org is valid for all
> locations where www.<COUNTRY>.debian.org, (even if it is in fact simply a
> CNAME back to the US site for web mirrors to which there does not
> correspond an FTP mirror), I think we should simply do this. In fact, we
> could use wml to define a tag
>
> <ftp file="/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/fred.deb">
>
> which does the Right Thing (tm).

This assumes a 1-1 match of official web and ftp mirrors. Although I wish that
were the case, it is not true.

> Who else listens on this list?  Do we have a full web-team here?  Do we
> have anyone to replace Jay yet? (See his thread on -devel).  As I said on
> that thread, I'm happy to help out.  I have a few ideas as to how we could
> use WML in a more clever way than we currently do. Some of them require
> that the WML is recompiled on each target machine.  In fact, we could
> possibly mirror our web servers by CVS, and then run (make all;make
> install) on the target machines. (I speak in complete ignorance oif how
> the system works at the moment).

The current web team is
   Guy - mailing list archives
   Ian - bug lists
   me  - everything else
You may appreciate why I am looking to break this up and have multiple
webmasters. :)

Unless you would like to start completely from scratch with the web mirrors,
distributing the pages using CVS will not work. It took me over 6 months to
get all the mirrors to turn on content negotiation on their servers and
that is a 3 line change to a config file. Jason is running up against a
similar problem getting the mirrors to fill out information for a new
mirror list.

Jay Treacy