Re: increased use of cgi on the debian web pages

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 06:41:10PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > It was decided long ago to minimize the use of cgi scripts on the web pages
> > due to the reliance on a single machine (remember that the web pages are
> > mirrored all over the world).
> >
> > The current problem is that ftp.debian.org is swamped and is the machine used
> > for URLs in many places on the pages. Is it time we changed this policy and
> > use lists where appropriate?
>
> I think so. Example: It's suboptimal to access ftp.debian.org from
> www.de.debian.org, being ftp.de.debian.org a well-behaved mirror.

As long as we guarantee that ftp.<COUNTRY>.debian.org is valid for all
locations where www.<COUNTRY>.debian.org, (even if it is in fact simply a
CNAME back to the US site for web mirrors to which there does not
correspond an FTP mirror), I think we should simply do this. In fact, we
could use wml to define a tag

<ftp file="/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/fred.deb">

which does the Right Thing (tm).

Who else listens on this list?  Do we have a full web-team here?  Do we
have anyone to replace Jay yet? (See his thread on -devel).  As I said on
that thread, I'm happy to help out.  I have a few ideas as to how we could
use WML in a more clever way than we currently do. Some of them require
that the WML is recompiled on each target machine.  In fact, we could
possibly mirror our web servers by CVS, and then run (make all;make
install) on the target machines. (I speak in complete ignorance oif how
the system works at the moment).

Jules