Re: increased use of cgi on the debian web pages

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 06:41:10PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> It was decided long ago to minimize the use of cgi scripts on the web pages
> due to the reliance on a single machine (remember that the web pages are
> mirrored all over the world).
>
> The current problem is that ftp.debian.org is swamped and is the machine used
> for URLs in many places on the pages. Is it time we changed this policy and
> use lists where appropriate?

I think so. Example: It's suboptimal to access ftp.debian.org from
www.de.debian.org, being ftp.de.debian.org a well-behaved mirror.

> Just thought I'd mention that cgi.debian.org = master.debian.org. The
> load for doing redirects, even if a large number of them, should be
> extrememly small.

And if it's not, we may ask for cgi.debian.org mirrors and use DNS
round-robin to share the load. That will help with the bandwith also.
(Just a wild thought).

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@ull.es