Re: Y2K statement?

Here is something I sent someone who needed to show his boss a y2k
statement asap. It touches on a few ideas we should mention:

  Debian is based on the Linux kernel which is known to be free of any Y2K
  problems. Most of the software in Debian is POSIX compliant, and as such,
  handles dates in a standard manner that is resistant to problems with Y2K.
  This is in addition to the common Unix practice of storing dates as seconds
  since 1 Jan 1970 which is free of any problems until the year 2038.

  This does not mean that we are sitting on our laurels. Debian is currently
  formulating an official Y2K statement. As part of this process we will be
  investigating the Y2K status of key pieces of software that come bundled
  with Debian. These involve the apache web server, the X windowing system
  and programming languages such as perl. The results of this will be listed
  on the Y2K page when it becomes available.

We should keep the jargon to a minimum on the main page and can link
other pages for concepts that provide additional information. For example
it might be worth having a page that more fully explains the part about
Unix storing dates in seconds since 1970 and how such programs should be
safe until 2038 (plus we should all be using 64 bit machines by then
which will give us a 'few' more years of safety :).

It also may be worth noting that Feb 29, 2000 IS a leap year as many
people don't seem to be aware of that.

Jay Treacy