Re: Debian and Politeness

On Monday 20 May 2013 09:33:06 Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> Free Software is about meritocracy and elitism

I have been unhappy with this since I first read it, and had held off saying
anything while I pondered.

I accept that, in theory at least, OSS is about meritoctracy.  But the
word "elite" jars.  It seems to me that OSS is the very opposite to elite.
Elitism is about slectivity and exclusiveness, OSS is about inclusivity.

From Wiktionary (an off-line dictionary agrees):

Adjective
elite (comparative more elite, superlative most elite)
Of high birth or social position; aristocratic or patrician.
Representing the choicest or most select of a group.

Noun
elite (plural elites)
A special group or social class of people which have a superior intellectual,
social or economic status as, the elite of society.
Someone who is among the best at certain task.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/elite

Lisi