Re: Debian participation into GNOME Outreach Program for Women

On 2013-03-31 10:41, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
Regarding Debian finances, I did verify that we can afford this before proposing it. It is my responsibility as DPL to ultimately approve using those money for OPW and, as mentioned already, it is my judgement that
it would be totally worth to do so; this year as an experiment with
budget for 1 intern, in the future maybe more (but that would be up to the next DPL to decide). I've no magic ball but I do feel that general
project feeling on this is that it is an acceptable usage of money

I'm slightly surprised you think the project feels that way -- consensus in the recent debian-vote discussions seemed to be rather against using Debian money to pay interns.

e.g. from Lucas
https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2013/03/msg00084.html

On using Debian's money:
My line, which is quite consensual I think, is that Debian money can be
used to support Debian development (hardware infrastructure, travel
reimbursement, ...) but not to pay contributors.

If we were to run our own internship program, I would be hard to
convince to use Debian money for stipends. A separate fundraising
campaign specifically for stipends would be better IMHO.
And I would probably disagree quite strongly if the program allowed DDs
to receive stipends.

or from myself
https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2013/03/msg00040.html

--