Re: Finding a mentor

Hi Maria, Francesca and everyone else,
On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:35:45PM +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> Hi María,
>
> welcome!
>
> AFAIK the Mentor Program is still running: Lisley and Helen can you
> confirm?

Yes it is,  I wasn't too well for a while and then things have gone a bit mad
in real life so my apologies - I should have delegated.

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:43:04PM +0200, María wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Hello! My name is María and I wrote this e-mail about 5 to 6 months ago to
> > mentoring@women.debian.org but got no answer so far... I am really
> > interested on debian and so I send it again to this list in case the other
> > list is not being followed or doesn't exist anymore. Sorry if I am spamming
> > your mailing list. ^-^
>
> Don't worry the list is here exactly for talking about how make Debian
> more welcoming and help newcomers!
There is no way writing to any Debian list looking to get involved could be
called spamming, Maria.

> > I am interested in working on Debian development. I am a computer
> > > scientist, but my knowledge of Linux is still limited. However, I really
> > > like gnu license and the debian social contract, so I would like to get
> > > deeply involved. Right now I work at UPV modifying a hypervisor called
> > > Xtratum, so I have a basic knowledge of Operating System level programming.
> > > I would like to program and fix bugs. My final goal is to be able to help
> > > with kernel maintenance and enhancement, but by now I would like to learn
> > > all the basics that may help me achieve this goal.
> > >
> > > Please give me some advice if possible. I am Spanish and can manage
> > > English. I can also understand Catalan. I wouldn't mind helping with
> > > translations and documentation, but as I already said, I am mainly
> > > interested in programming and bugs.
>
> My suggestion is to join the QA Team [1], helping them in their
> effort (fixing bugs, doing maintainance for orphaned packages, etc.).
> If you want to work on bugs, you can take a look at this tutorial [2] and
> read a bit about bug triaging [3].
> Another idea could be to work on bugs tagged "gift" [4] on the Bug Tracking System
> (BTS): these bugs are easy to squash and in general suitable for new contributors to
> Debian.
>
> 1: http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/Join
> 2: http://wiki.debian.org/HowtoUseBTS
> 3: http://wiki.debian.org/BugTriage
> 4: http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag
>

> Another interesting thing could be to help in squashing RC-stable bugs:
> bugs affecting our stable release sometimes are less actively squashed,
> but are as important as the RC-bugs for the other releases. Rhonda,
> AFAIK, works a lot on them: and she'll be probably happy to give you some
> advice.
>
> If you have any doubt, don't hesitate and ask here or on our IRC chan
> (#debian-women at irc.debian.org)!

Thank you so much for giving Maria this advice, Francesca.

Maria : are you happy with this advice and do you want me to continue with
finding you a mentor?

Kind Regards

Lesley