Re: Finding a mentor

Hi María,

welcome!

AFAIK the Mentor Program is still running: Lisley and Helen can you
confirm?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:43:04PM +0200, María wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Hello! My name is María and I wrote this e-mail about 5 to 6 months ago to
> mentoring@women.debian.org but got no answer so far... I am really
> interested on debian and so I send it again to this list in case the other
> list is not being followed or doesn't exist anymore. Sorry if I am spamming
> your mailing list. ^-^

Don't worry the list is here exactly for talking about how make Debian
more welcoming and help newcomers!

> I am interested in working on Debian development. I am a computer
> > scientist, but my knowledge of Linux is still limited. However, I really
> > like gnu license and the debian social contract, so I would like to get
> > deeply involved. Right now I work at UPV modifying a hypervisor called
> > Xtratum, so I have a basic knowledge of Operating System level programming.
> > I would like to program and fix bugs. My final goal is to be able to help
> > with kernel maintenance and enhancement, but by now I would like to learn
> > all the basics that may help me achieve this goal.
> >
> > Please give me some advice if possible. I am Spanish and can manage
> > English. I can also understand Catalan. I wouldn't mind helping with
> > translations and documentation, but as I already said, I am mainly
> > interested in programming and bugs.

My suggestion is to join the QA Team [1], helping them in their
effort (fixing bugs, doing maintainance for orphaned packages, etc.).
If you want to work on bugs, you can take a look at this tutorial [2] and
read a bit about bug triaging [3].
Another idea could be to work on bugs tagged "gift" [4] on the Bug Tracking System
(BTS): these bugs are easy to squash and in general suitable for new contributors to
Debian.

1: http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/Join
2: http://wiki.debian.org/HowtoUseBTS
3: http://wiki.debian.org/BugTriage
4: http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag

Another interesting thing could be to help in squashing RC-stable bugs:
bugs affecting our stable release sometimes are less actively squashed,
but are as important as the RC-bugs for the other releases. Rhonda,
AFAIK, works a lot on them: and she'll be probably happy to give you some
advice.

If you have any doubt, don't hesitate and ask here or on our IRC chan
(#debian-women at irc.debian.org)!

Cheers,
Francesca
--