Re: Questions and comments regarding Debian Women

* Mònica Ramírez Arceda <monica@probeta.net> [110425 18:39]:
> About becoming a DD, I'm not trying to be a DD for two reasons: the
> first one is that I don't feel sure enough with the required skills, the
> second reason is that I'm only maintaining a few packages. Although it
> would be a honor for me to achieve a DD status, it's not my main
> ambition. My main ambition is just collaborating in the project, being a
> DD or not. Maybe other women feel the same.

Don't make yourself a wrong picture about DD status: There are plenty
male DD out there which you simply cannot be less competent than
even if only knowing this short description.

> However, I think it's not clear when a person is ready to start this
> process. If we think women are a little bit shier and unsure in
> technical issues, it's more difficult that a woman decides to start this
> process without a bit of encouragement from the community.

While women are often taught as girls by the society that they would
be incapable for science or computers and thus tend to be unsure about
how good they are, there is also another point: Societies usually
accept boastful behaviour in boys and men and even encourages it to
some degree, while girls and women get negative feedback if they
are not unassuming. While I prefered a world with only unboastfulness,
false modesty can be a big problem, especially if it robs Debian
so many capable developers.

	Bernhard R. Link