Re: Questions about DDTP

Quoting Karolina Kalic (karolina@janos.in.rs):
> As a new translator, and not so new user, I would say, yes, you are
> completely wrong. :)
>
> There are lots of funny stuff related with aptitude, apt-get and other
> free software. Have you heard about Super Cow? :)
>
> I don't think it's refusing people, on contrary. Just give your best
> in translating, and if you think something is difficult to translate,
> and not to lose it's meaning, just quote it. Or, you can add some joke
> in your language, that could be interesting.
>
> Of course, there is always a possibility that I'm wrong, but there is
> always a community to correct me. :)

Translating jokes is far from easy as they often have cultural
background that may vary from one place to another. I, for instance,
had most trouble translating jokes about Super Cow Powers in
aptitude's help messages..:)

So, these are definitely areas were translators can certainly use
their freedom of choice: either introduce some jokes of their own,
trying to keep the original "spirit" of the fun....or just skip them
when they think they're inappropriate.