Re: Let's put some energy back into Debian Women

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:22:26PM -0400, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Karolina Kalic (karolina@janos.in.rs):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a female maintainer (maintaining pidgin-microblog), and hopefully
> > a DM, and even DD one day. But I'm new to programing, and would need
> > help with dealing with bugs, for a start. So, this is one of my
> > suggestion for one of a training session that could be held on IRC.
>

> Karolina probably omitted to mention that she's contributing to
> localization work in Debian, for the Serbian language. l10n is an area
> that is a good way to get involved, mostly because the learning curve
> is quite fast (assuming, of course, that one knows well about one's
> own language.....:-)).

Yes.
And as there are a lot of non-DD/DM contributors in general (and especially in l10n
area 'cause it not requires high computing skills), there are also many
female contributors in this area.
In l10n-italian we are two, and - for instance - in italian team for TLDP we
are four or five.

So, I think that could be a good idea to spot on this area: users (and
particularly women) are shy, I
can guarantee this: I'm one of them! But we *want* to contribute and to be
part of the community: so, it can be useful join the community gradually,
L10n it's a great chance to take a look in the backstage.
;)

Cheers,
Francesca