Re: DW Mailing List: Would it be better if it was not archived?

2009/9/15 Jenna Gretsch <gretschj@reed.edu>:
> I too am a lurker on this list, but I second Brenda's post.
>
> Brenda Wallace wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if the goal of the mailing list at the moment should be
>>> discussing purely technical stuff. There are probably some other
>>> mailing lists more suitable for that (d-mentors, d-devel, or some
>>> others centered in certain technical aspects). I don't really know if
>>> there is still an entry barrier for female newcomers at the moment (I
>>> guess most of us who have been somehow involved in Free Software for
>>> some time have already developed a thicker skin, so I'm not sure if
>>> we're the best ones to evaluate that), but my perception is that once
>>> a woman or a girl decides to step into the project, it's not that hard
>>> to jump into the area they're more interested in. The most important
>>> entry barrier I see at the moment is to convince new women or girls to
>>> learn about the project and give it a chance. What I mean is that I'm
>>> not exactly sure if it makes sense to consider d-women mailing list as
>>> a technical list.
>>
>> I mostly lurk on this list,  but I'd like the archives to stay. This
>> list, from time to time,  attracts those that want women to shut up
>> and go away. To have on public record the swift response from debian
>> that women are welcome is a good thing.
>>
>> I can understand not wanting your post archived - i have numerous dumb
>> and obvious questions that i ask DDs usually on irc and don't want
>> those turning up next time an employer websearches for my name. I
>> wouldn't post those here (and i haven't seen tech questions on this
>> list)
>>
>> But next time we get an obnoxious troll, i'd prefer their crap was
>> recorded against their name to be printed out at every job interview
>> they go to.

I'd like to keep the archive - it's useful reference.
There's an X- header you could add which prevented your post being
archived on news groups  X-No-Archive.
I have no idea if that is  recognised in this mailing-list environment.

Regards

Lesley