Re: DW Mailing List: Would it be better if it was not archived?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/15 Ursula Junque <ursinha@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I wonder why would this be a problem. If you discuss technical stuff
>> (or are we talking about other stuff?), all lists everywhere are
>> archived so other people with similar interests can search on its
>> archives for other's problems, solutions or interesting related
>> discussions. At least myself, thinking about how discussed subjects
>> could be useful to others, never got intimidated thinking my messages
>> would be kept forever. But maybe I'm missing something here. :)
>
> I'm not sure if the goal of the mailing list at the moment should be
> discussing purely technical stuff. There are probably some other
> mailing lists more suitable for that (d-mentors, d-devel, or some
> others centered in certain technical aspects). I don't really know if
> there is still an entry barrier for female newcomers at the moment (I
> guess most of us who have been somehow involved in Free Software for
> some time have already developed a thicker skin, so I'm not sure if
> we're the best ones to evaluate that), but my perception is that once
> a woman or a girl decides to step into the project, it's not that hard
> to jump into the area they're more interested in. The most important
> entry barrier I see at the moment is to convince new women or girls to
> learn about the project and give it a chance. What I mean is that I'm
> not exactly sure if it makes sense to consider d-women mailing list as
> a technical list.

I mostly lurk on this list,  but I'd like the archives to stay. This
list, from time to time,  attracts those that want women to shut up
and go away. To have on public record the swift response from debian
that women are welcome is a good thing.

I can understand not wanting your post archived - i have numerous dumb
and obvious questions that i ask DDs usually on irc and don't want
those turning up next time an employer websearches for my name. I
wouldn't post those here (and i haven't seen tech questions on this
list)

But next time we get an obnoxious troll, i'd prefer their crap was
recorded against their name to be printed out at every job interview
they go to.