Re: Introduction and Debian Women Mentoring Programme

2009/7/28 Rosellyne Thompson <rozallin@gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Rosellyne Thompson and I am 23 years old. I've been using
> Debian since 2000 (Potato!) and I've decided to delurk and become more
> involved with the Debian project, primarily to give something back and
> become part of the community, but also to gain experience that
> complements my studies (I'm currently studying part-time for a degree
> in Computing with a minor in Psychology with the OU) and that will
> improve my employment
> prospects (I'd like to work as Perl developer, but feel at present
> that I lack confidence/experience to apply for jobs).
>
> I tried to e-mail Helen Faulkner as suggested on the Debian women
> website about the mentoring programme but her e-mail address bounced,
> so I wondered if I posted the areas I'd be interested in volunteering
> in here someone might be able to point me in the right direction?
> Areas I would be interested in are: Perl, beginner packaging, writing
> bug reports, writing documentation, working on Debian websites/lists,
> solving bugs and submitting patches, organising UK events (I am based
> in Ilford, Essex, so can attend events in Central London), press work
> and general interaction with the Debian project.
>
> Many thanks and kind regards,
>
> --
> Rosellyne Thompson

Hi Rosellyne

Glad to meet you here :)

Good luck with your OU work.

I am also in the Greater London Liniux User Group, as are many other
women (and men) in and around London and from further afield too.
I am over the water from you in the London Borough of Bexley.
If you are interested in Perl you might want to look at/lurk on
perlmonks.org, use.perl.org and  the debian-perl list?

Regards

Lesley