Re: Introduction and Debian Women Mentoring Programme

2009/7/28 Lesley Binks <lesley.binks@googlemail.com>:
> 2009/7/28 Rosellyne Thompson <rozallin@gmail.com>:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> My name is Rosellyne Thompson and I am 23 years old. I've been using
>> Debian since 2000 (Potato!) and I've decided to delurk and become more
>> involved with the Debian project, primarily to give something back and
>> become part of the community, but also to gain experience that
>> complements my studies (I'm currently studying part-time for a degree
>> in Computing with a minor in Psychology with the OU) and that will
>> improve my employment
>> prospects (I'd like to work as Perl developer, but feel at present
>> that I lack confidence/experience to apply for jobs).
>>
>> I tried to e-mail Helen Faulkner as suggested on the Debian women
>> website about the mentoring programme but her e-mail address bounced,
>> so I wondered if I posted the areas I'd be interested in volunteering
>> in here someone might be able to point me in the right direction?
>> Areas I would be interested in are: Perl, beginner packaging, writing
>> bug reports, writing documentation, working on Debian websites/lists,
>> solving bugs and submitting patches, organising UK events (I am based
>> in Ilford, Essex, so can attend events in Central London), press work
>> and general interaction with the Debian project.
>>
>> Many thanks and kind regards,
>>
>> --
>> Rosellyne Thompson
>>
> Hi Rosellyne
>
> Glad to meet you here :)
>
> Good luck with your OU work.
>
> I am also in the Greater London Liniux User Group, as are many other
> women (and men) in and around London and from further afield too.
Sorry forgot the url : gllug.org.uk.  There are links to join the
mailing list find out where everyone lurks on irc etc. on the right
hand side of that main page.
Meetings do happen occasionally but the London perl mongers meet
regularly too.  Suggest you look up London.pm.org for that.

> I am over the water from you in the London Borough of Bexley.
> If you are interested in Perl you might want to look at/lurk on
> perlmonks.org, use.perl.org and  the debian-perl list?
None of these are particularly female oriented although women do
contribute regularly at least to the gllug list.

HTH

Lesley