Re: should these be reworded?

Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:52:19PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 03:17:21PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
>>> "Our priority is our users" might have originally been "Our priority is
>>> our male users",
>> Put your hands in the air and step away from the crack pipe.
>>
>>> Could a suggestion to: "make your software more inclusive of different
>>> users based upon gender, race, etc. when possible" sound too forcefull?
>> Yes.  For best results, send patches.
>
> At least i got a few useful replys before steve came by with his usual
> comments.

Oh, but I think that's completely fair. If a work is free, why should the
developer be working for you, when anyone could change it? Do you write to
publishers asking that Madame Bovary or Anna Karenina be changed into men,
or Quijote or Hamlet be changed into women? They could well do it, you know,
the text is in the public domain. But so could you, and publish it yourself
(or try to convince them to publish it).

I keep being told that sending patches is a better way to gain an upstream's
heart than asking for features. This should apply to games characters'
genders as much as to anything else.

On a side note, but wholly on topic in this thread, there are fabulous games
with radically well-portrayed women as main characters. Not many, but let me
cite two: Beyond Good and Evil's Jade is a green-haired teenager saving the
world (and his uncle, who is a pig: don't ask). Dino Crisis portrays a
female special forces operative whose proportions do not look enhanced with
a bicycle pump; she looks... human.

Beyond Good and Evil is now cheap-ish, and runs reasonably well on wine!
(after tweaking).
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7929

Also, the first two Tomb Raider games were fantastic games, said it once
already, but I will repeat it as much as it needs. The first one is now
being remade with more modern tech, and I plan to play it again.