Re: should these be reworded?

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 05:15:10PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2008/7/23 Meike Reichle <meike@debian.org>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I agree with Christian that putting something like this in the dev guide
> > is probably overkill and wouldn't do us much good. If a user objects to
> > playing a male character rescuing a female one I'd consider that an
> > upstream bug rather than a Debian issue. So, getting back to magicmaze,
> > I guess I'd simply send a feature request to upstream.
>
> BTW, as an strategic matter of fact it is unneeded to say that if
> someone decides to ask upstream to add that feature, what I encourage
> to do, do it politely and with positive arguments, and avoid
> accusations of any kind: it works better. Kinda "Would it be possible
> tho let the player choose the gender of their character? That way,
> female players would identify themselves better with the character and
> the game might be more attractive for them" instead of "Your game is
> sexist, you have to make it gender neutral", which of course would put
> the developers on the defensive side and would do more harm than good.
> I just thought it would do no damage to mention it, although it's
> quite obvious.

"Our priority is our users" might have originally been "Our priority is
our male users", not that I think Dev's did it intentionally. So any
attempt to add a 'wishlist' feature in a way that makes our software
more inclusive of 'all' of our users, sounds like a great suggestion.
And anything that does not 'heat the coffee of the cabal' aka invoke
flamewars is a good approach. I did not mean to single-out magicmaze, it
was just something that crossed my view and sparked the idea. So thanks
for the great feedback.

Could a suggestion to: "make your software more inclusive of different
users based upon gender, race, etc. when possible" sound too forcefull?
-Kev
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|