Re: /tmp accidentally filled

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 10:29:50AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2008 10:02:38 Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> Thanks for your help, Kevin.
>
> As I said, I have never had to do anything to tmp before.  But it has not
> cleaned up at boot and the fact that it is 100% full is causing problems.
> This is a direct result of the mess I created when I messed up my backup.  I
> have deleted the bulk of the stuff wrongly placed on my root partition - so
> most things are working fine again - and am left with this 100% filled tmp.
>
> From what you say, I can safely delete the lot?  After all, if it should have
> been cleaned up automatically, it can't hurt if I clean it up manually?

If you have not rebooted your computer, some running process may be
actively using some file in tmp. Also, a 'backup program' may use /tmp
to use while is working on the backup, so it may have left stuff there.
I'd suggest doing:

cd /tmp
du -s -m * .*|sort -n

so you can see  what is the largest items. You hopefully will see a
large directory/file left by the backup program and be able to delete
that first. Otherwise, I dont recall the way to figure out which /tmp
file is NOT being actively used.

HTH
-K

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|