Re: Problem with sound in Lenny installation - SOLVED (anyhow for now!)

On Saturday 29 November 2008 12:57:25 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > > Now this I haven't done.  I tried, but I couldn't fathom how to work it
> > > - or even how to interpret it.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I should have said alsamixergui, which is a bit more
> > friendly. From what you later posted from d-user, it seems that the
> > problem is here. Is it?
>
> Capture is indeed not set - but I can't fathom out how to do it.  Changing
> the level on the things that are set is easy, but I can't get capture to
> respond at all.
>
> I have googled, and tried man alsamixergui.  But all I can find are
> instructions to make use it - but nothing on how to do so!  Nor how to
> interpret the data.
>
> I have turned on capture in kmix - but it doesn't seem to make any
> difference. :-(

I found out how to turn capture on in Alsamixer (not Alsamixergui!), but it
made no difference.

So I went back to kmix.  Capture was on, but set at zero (automatically).  So
I fiddled some more.  Turning on pcm worked. \o/ \o/  I am listening to Haydn
as I type. :-))

Just before that I had turned on surroundsound, which may also have had a
bearing, tho' it didn't solve it.

Hope that this will also help you, Helen and Christian.  Tho' I doubt it.  If
I didn't know better, I would think that occasionally one's computer gets a
roguish gleam in its eye, and dreams up a unique variant of a problem,
needing a unique solution. :-(

And thanks, Jordi for all your help.  In addition to the information that you
gave me, I think that I needed a stimulus to make me persevere.

Lisi