Re: Debian's Freenode IRC channels

* Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> [2008:01:12 12:15 +0100]:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 02:08:16AM -0800, Erinn Clark wrote:
> > Anyway, time passed, we changed our official servers, and a lot of users
> > did not follow from freenode.
>
> Well, it should be said that also most of the operators decided to care
> for both channels or stay on freenode.

Yeah, I knew a lot of the ops stuck around on freenode. I always
wondered what kind of coverage it got. (Just to be clear, I don't expect
you to stick around and monitor all of these channels all the time!)

> > So that's the history, but since you're concerned with the present and
> > future... I don't know what to tell you. As Vid says, anyone can create
> > channels for anything there -- they are not officially sanctioned in any
> > way, they are not officially supported, and very few official Debian
> > types hang around there.
>
> Well, out of the 40 people on #debian-offtopic, around 10% are DDs, and
> another 10-20% are known members of the Debian community.  So maybe the
> problem is that having those people around there gives the channel some
> sort of credibility it should not have (given that most of those people
> in there just idle).

Huh, I didn't know that. I agree that their presence is possibly giving
it some credibility (or at least makes it difficult/impossible for us to
wash our hands of the situation and declare no relation to it). So
what's up? Are any other #d-o patrons? Why y'all misbehavin'?

Michael, do you think we need more (new) ops on freenode? It's been a
while since we appointed new people...

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide